As the cost of goods continues to go up, it’s important to find easy ways in which you can save a little money to keep your bank balances from hitting zero. Below is a list of cost saving efforts that can help you save over $2,000 each year.
1. Eat your leftovers - After each meal, package all your left overs to eat at a later date. Americans waste billions of dollars in food each year and by saving your left overs, you can save an average of $529 per person each year.
2. Slow down while driving – Not only will slowing down make you less stressed, it can also save you money. It’s estimated that American’s drive 600 miles a year on average. With gas mileage savings of 33% on the highway and 5% in the city, this can save you over $480 a year.
3. Bring your lunch to work – With the average cost of eating out at $10 a meal, your food cost can sky rocket if you’re not careful. If you bring your lunch to work just 2 days a week, you can save up to $1,400 a year!
4. Buy a programmable thermostat – Replacing your old thermostat for an electronic thermostat is a simple 10-minute task and the cost of a new thermostat is roughly $25. Set your thermostat to 68 or lower during the winter while you’re in the house and lower it to 58-60 while you’re out of the house in the winter. In the summer, set your thermostat to 78 while you’re in the house and set it to 85 or higher while you’re out of the house. This can save you up to $180 a year.
5. Find free entertainment – While there are a lot of great things you can do that can cost a lot of money, look for free entertainment. During the summer, there are a lot of movies in the park sponsored by local companies that are often free. The average American spends $1,800 a year on entertainment; imagine if you could save even half of that!
6. Use reusable Water Bottles – Not only is it environmentally friendly, but the average American buys 167 bottles of water on average each year. Using your own water bottle can save you over $240 a year.
Listed above are all great examples of ways in which you can save money each month that can add up to big money. If you’re a low-income family and are looking at additional ways to save money, Budget Mobile offers free cell phones including free cell phone service through our LifeLine Cell Phone Program. The LifeLine Cell Phone program is a free government phone programs that Budget Mobile offers and includes free calls, text messages, and free data in some states.
To see if you qualify for a free government cell phone including cell phone service, click here.